This class will provide officers, both new and experienced, with information about the connection between animal cruelty and family violence and the resources available to make appropriate referrals.
Upon successful complete of this class, the officer will be able to:
- Identify how the role of pets in the family impacts the animal cruelty and human violence connection.
- Identify the links between criminal behavior and animal cruelty.
- Identify the importance of animal cruelty to an assessment of family violence.
- Know Maine laws about animal cruelty and interpersonal violence.
- Identify the connection between animal cruelty and family violence involving children, partners, and elders.
- Be able to utilize formal and informal state-wide and local resources to respond to animal cruelty and family violence calls.