The goal of this class is to familiarize the law enforcement officer with the extent and scope of elder abuse in Maine and in the U.S.
Upon successful completion of this class, the law enforcement officer will be able to:
- Define elder abuse, neglect and financial exploitation.
- Recognize the scope of elder abuse in the United States and Maine.
- Identify the risk factors contributing to elder abuse.
- Develop a working knowledge of the indicators of elder abuse.
- Effectively interview an older victim.
- Explain the reluctance or inability of the older victim to report their criminal victimization to law enforcement.
- Develop a working knowledge of the role of professionals to report suspected elder abuse.
- List community resources available to help law enforcement officers in investigating and prosecuting elder abuse.