This class examines some of the basic issues surrounding the investigation of computer related crimes and the search for and seizure of electronic evidence.
Upon successful completion of this topic, the law enforcement officer will be able to:
- Recognize the growing scope of computer crimes and the increased potential for electronic evidence at crime scenes.
- Identify the steps involved in the Computer Forensic Process.
- List factors that must be considered prior to a search for electronic evidence.
- Recognize important activities to be accomplished at an electronic crime scene.
- Develop a working knowledge of the methods used in seizing and preserving sources of electronic evidence.
- Identify investigative techniques that may aid in the recovery of electronic evidence.